On the subject of diet

Talk about anything at all

Moderators: Committee, Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
sadie
Editor
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Basingstoke
Contact:

On the subject of diet

Post by sadie » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:38 pm

One of the guys in my office has a really shit diet. He subsists entirely on pot noodles and McDonalds. Enjoying those on occasion is fine, but I don't think he's eaten any real food since he started here. He's not too poor to eat properly, I just don't think he knows how.

So, can anyone suggest productive ways for me to introduce some proper nutrition into his life? Without just barging into his house and taking over his life like some sort of OCD criminal.
Oh, did I say that out loud?

User avatar
Bob790
Editor
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact:

Post by Bob790 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:57 pm

sadie wrote:One of the guys in my office has a really shit diet. He subsists entirely on pot noodles and McDonalds. Enjoying those on occasion is fine, but I don't think he's eaten any real food since he started here. He's not too poor to eat properly, I just don't think he knows how.

So, can anyone suggest productive ways for me to introduce some proper nutrition into his life? Without just barging into his house and taking over his life like some sort of OCD criminal.
Live and let live? Allow him the freedom to choose his own lifestyle?

Failing that, talk to him about it and find out whether he wants you to interfere with his habits.

User avatar
NoviceOtaku
Non-Blood-Related Sister
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: A32
Contact:

Post by NoviceOtaku » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:11 pm

--The guy could live with his mum so he could be eating ok after work.
--You could "accidently" make too much lunch and make him a bento.
--This doesn't really help but my brother had a house mate, during uni, who always had microwave meals. The only solution they could think of was to microwave a bar of soap, so all his food afterwards tasted soapy.

Personally I wouldn't even bother, this person probably wouldn't know real food if you gave it to them. If they did, they would probably ask to have ketchup with it.

User avatar
Minotaur
Non-Blood-Related Sister
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by Minotaur » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:07 pm

sadie wrote:One of the guys in my office has a really shit diet.
I suppose the more pertinent question is whether said really shit diet is causing him health problems. Some people seem to manage just fine on terrible diets, and some of us who eat comparatively healthily are still fat gits... ;)
sadie wrote:He's not too poor to eat properly, I just don't think he knows how.
Again, it's a question of whether he eats what he eats because he enjoys it, or does so because he doesn't know how to do anything else. Or maybe because cooking is too much hassle for him. Alas, not everyone enjoys it - m'colleague "has a kitchen because it came with the house", for example.
sadie wrote:So, can anyone suggest productive ways for me to introduce some proper nutrition into his life?
Try to (discreetly) find out why he eats what he eats. Is it:
1) because he enjoys it
2) because cooking healthy stuff is a hassle he doesn't want
3) because he doesn't know any better

The best way to start might be to 'suggest' going out for lunch/dinner, and go to somewhere that does a good variety of healthy-ish options. I'm not suggesting you have to go Michelin-starred, but somewhere that does a better range than the usual chain "restaurants" for which Basingrad is famous.

See what he orders. If he orders decent food, then it's probably (2) above. If he orders the same thing as he eats at work, then it's probably (1).

User avatar
Big Al
Giant Combining Robot
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:45 pm
Location: Egham
Contact:

Post by Big Al » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:29 pm

If McD burgers are his only hot food, buy him a GBK burger.

If he can taste that it's better, you can introduce him to other food outlets, or even go to his house and cook for him.

If he can't tell, he's got no sense of taste and will be a lost cause. Suggest a multi vitamin supplement.

User avatar
sadie
Editor
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Basingstoke
Contact:

Post by sadie » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Minotaur wrote:The best way to start might be to 'suggest' going out for lunch/dinner, and go to somewhere that does a good variety of healthy-ish options. I'm not suggesting you have to go Michelin-starred, but somewhere that does a better range than the usual chain "restaurants" for which Basingrad is famous.

See what he orders. If he orders decent food, then it's probably (2) above. If he orders the same thing as he eats at work, then it's probably (1).
When I've taken him out to the pub here (which at least pretends to be a gastropub, and is tolerably good), he won't order anything more exciting than a plain bowl of chips.

This isn't about gourmet flavours and high class taste, it's about basic nutrition. He's young now, but I'm honestly concerned he might do his body and brain damage by not getting what they need.
Oh, did I say that out loud?

User avatar
Minotaur
Non-Blood-Related Sister
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by Minotaur » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:51 pm

sadie wrote:it's about basic nutrition. He's young now, but I'm honestly concerned he might do his body and brain damage by not getting what they need.
This then:
Big Al wrote:If he can't tell, he's got no sense of taste and will be a lost cause. Suggest a multi vitamin supplement.

User avatar
Bob790
Editor
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact:

Post by Bob790 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:36 pm

sadie wrote:This isn't about gourmet flavours and high class taste, it's about basic nutrition. He's young now, but I'm honestly concerned he might do his body and brain damage by not getting what they need.
Then explain your concerns to him and let him make his own choices. Making bad choices is part of being young and you can't live everyone else's life for them.

User avatar
NoviceOtaku
Non-Blood-Related Sister
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: A32
Contact:

Post by NoviceOtaku » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:50 pm

You could try negative reinforcement. Every time you see him with bad food, you squirt water at him.

User avatar
sadie
Editor
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Basingstoke
Contact:

Post by sadie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Don't tempt me.
Oh, did I say that out loud?

User avatar
Bob790
Editor
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact:

Post by Bob790 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:56 pm

NoviceOtaku wrote:You could try negative reinforcement. Every time you see him with bad food, you squirt water at him.
Or smack him with a rolled up newspaper

User avatar
Bob790
Editor
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact:

Post by Bob790 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:02 pm

Buy him a year's subscription to Graze as a Christmas present? :-P

User avatar
Zoropb30
Mook
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:58 am

Post by Zoropb30 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:37 pm

sadie wrote:One of the guys in my office has a really shit diet. He subsists entirely on pot noodles and McDonalds. Enjoying those on occasion is fine, but I don't think he's eaten any real food since he started here. He's not too poor to eat properly, I just don't think he knows how.

So, can anyone suggest productive ways for me to introduce some proper nutrition into his life? Without just barging into his house and taking over his life like some sort of OCD criminal.

Is the unhealthy eater you speak of a reader?
I recently finished the book ‘Gut’ by giulia enders and ‘the 30 day heart tune up’ by allan Robertson. Both contain a lot of dietary advice. (As a nurse patients are constantly asking me questions on the gastro and cardiology factors in their diets, along with how it will affect their blood electrolytes and inflammatory markers, so last month I did some extra research).

The 30 day heart tune up is probably aimed at a much older (and frankly sicker) audience than your colleague but Gut is informative about diet and mildly humorous. I particularly liked the part about Japanese research with radioactive poo. Its also on sale at Waterstones right how. The authors reffernces and PHD in gastroenterology seem correct and it has the added benfit you could give it for secret santa without appearing to be giving diet advice. Alternately if you are not against drugging the guy theres new research suggesting that using pro biotics and make are brains desire different foods through a can of Gut mind control. Of course it’s easier for me as a nurse im expected to drug the people I work with. ;)

User avatar
sadie
Editor
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Basingstoke
Contact:

Post by sadie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm occasionally tempted to knock him out with a clue-by-four, but drugging him probably isn't a practical solution :)

Thanks for the others though.
Oh, did I say that out loud?

Post Reply