Anime rendering software and the industry

Sci-fi, film, manga, novels, games, figurines and other geekery

Moderators: Committee, Moderators

sadie
Editor

Anime rendering software and the industry

Post by sadie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:02 am

Thoughts inspired by a video on the latest developments in anime-style rendering. Emphasis is on games (it's currently a plugin to Unity engine), but with a suggestion it could be used for actual anime, and you can be certain similar tools are used for the real thing.

YAYT

When it comes to using things like this for anime production, I'm of two minds. On the one hand, modern technology like this makes possible things that otherwise wouldn't be - such as the seamless blending of 2D and 3D graphics that they keep zeroing in on but still haven't quite got perfect (you can see the progress each year if you look closely, as well as the difference in each studio's approach); and it reduces the dependence on laborious work by underpaid artists, making it easier for a small, low-budget studio to compete with the big boys while telling a move unusual story (eg Garden of Words). On the other hand, having a standard toolkit is contributing to the sense that anime - at least mainstream anime - tend to look quite similar and mass-produced.

Thoughts?
Oh, did I say that out loud?

NoviceOtaku
Non-Blood-Related Sister

Post by NoviceOtaku » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:17 pm

How bizarre, I watched this animation "Hill Climb Girl" the other day, and I thought something wasn't quite right.

I think its just going to be one of those things where its going to be strange to begin with but after a while we will probably wont think nothing more of it. Also I'm sure there will be split of otakus who are extremely against and those who are for.

MrChom
Androgynous Bishounen

Post by MrChom » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Anime has always suffered from a high degree of "sameyness" (technical term). Merely adding in computer shading and animation won't make anything look more or less mass produced than now because there will always be a group of directors who just ask "How far can I take this?"