Not really 'Bored at work' material...

Post by Cartographer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Interesting, for any/all fansubbers out there:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

(If someone can explain how I can hide the addresses in shorter, named links I'd appreciate it; I've never actually been able to figure that out...)

edit: Thanks :D
Last edited by Cartographer on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If this message is not loading or loading too slowly you may need to install Firefox.

Soruk
Primary Love Interest

Post by Soruk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:22 pm

Use (url=http://www.domain.com)message(/url) - but using [...] instead of (...)

sadie
Editor

Post by sadie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:48 pm

It's a bit long-winded and repetative. But then it's preaching to the choir - Dyslexic isn't guilty of most of the things he's complaining about anyway (not that we've done much of anything recently, ahem). Presumably he thinks the offenders won't get his message unless they're told twelve times.

edit: Plus half the footage is at the wrong aspect ratio, which always gets my goat, and seems at odds with his rant against fansubbing sins.

Bob790
Editor

Post by Bob790 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:02 pm

sadie wrote:edit: Plus half the footage is at the wrong aspect ratio, which always gets my goat,
So that's what happened to it!

sadie
Editor

Post by sadie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Yeah, I was looking forward to that curry. I had my scimitar sharpened specially...

Cartographer
Earth Dragon

Post by Cartographer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:39 am

I didn't mean it as a criticism of anyone's work, more a mildly amusing distraction.
I'm sure we can all think of some fansubs where we've wanted to scream at the group for grammar/spelling/illegibility/caption fonts etc...

Plus the whole bit with Gandalf was awesome!
And I lol'd at the Last Samurai text.
If this message is not loading or loading too slowly you may need to install Firefox.

cosmicnut
Demon Slayer

Post by cosmicnut » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:13 am

Some of it was right on, others were more just a personal preference.
The whole "subbers higher on the credits" bit was a tad mad. I mean, if I spent hours subbing an anime I would like people to know I did it. It doesn't ruin the flow, or take away from the makers.

Agree about the fonts and effects.

I do like a bit of [honorific] and -chan
Makes you remember that your watching something that may have a different view point

Bob790
Editor

Post by Bob790 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:58 am

cosmicnut wrote:I do like a bit of [honorific] and -chan
Makes you remember that your watching something that may have a different view point
I haven't actually watched the documentary but I agree that -chan etc. are useful as there isn't an easy way of saying it in English. However if there is an easy English equivalent; for example they call teachers -sensei, we would call them Mr-, Miss- or Mrs- the translation loses nothing from it (at least in a classroom situation). Plus there is almost never an excuse for leaving -san in place (particularly if it wasn't in the Japanese - which I've seen once or twice).

sadie
Editor

Post by sadie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 pm

I have seen subbers make somebody speak about themselves in the third person where the original didn't, but I can't rememer where.

NoviceOtaku
Non-Blood-Related Sister

Post by NoviceOtaku » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Animation studio J.C. Staff has celebrated its 30 years of existence. with a special video showcasing the many revered franchises they have animated. No doubt it will stir a sense of nostalgia among those who have been watching their work for all those years.
Are you a fan of J.C. Staff, without knowing?
YouTube

sadie
Editor

Post by sadie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:04 pm

I recognised most of them in that video, and liked most of the ones I recognised. We've shown quite a few of them over the years, and we're about to show at least one more.
Oh, did I say that out loud?

NoviceOtaku
Non-Blood-Related Sister

Post by NoviceOtaku » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:08 am

Are your speakers on? Then how about an anime music video (not an AMV as such, as its original content)

Shelter by Porter Robinson - YouTube

There's also a "making of", which show some rare sights inside A-1 Pictures (ERASED, GATE and WORKING to name but a few). - YouTube